Tuesday, April 08, 2008

New Things Arise

I'm thrilled to be part of some great new doings in the literary arena at Lake Forest College, namely:
- The creation of Lake Forest College Press and its imprint, &NOW Books (inspired by the &NOW Festival of Writing as a Contemporary Conceptual Art;
- The launch of a new biannual anthology, The &NOW Awards: The Best Innovative Writing, to be published under the eponymous imprint;
- The Madeleine P. Plonsker Emerging Writer’s Residency Prize, offering a two-month residency at Lake Forest, a $10,000 stipend, and book publication for a writer under forty years of age with no major publications (chapbooks excepted).
Exciting stuff! You can read more about it here at the blog of my colleague Bob Archambeau. I'm grateful to Bob and Davis Schneiderman for making me a part of their plans for literary empire-building.

In more personal news I can announce some upcoming personal appearances at which you can hear (and see) me read my poetry:
- On Friday, April 11 I will be reading with Juan Manuel Sanchez at Illinois State University in Normal as part of their Pierre Bourdieu Memorial Reading Series. It will take place at 7 PM in the University Galleries (here are some directions). Thanks to Gabe Gudding and Kristin Dykstra for making it happen.
- On Wednesday, April 16 I will be reading at The Book Cellar in the Lincoln Square neighborhood of Chicago along with Eddie Kilowatt, Robert McDonald, Patricia Stewart, Saadia Ali Aschemann. It starts at 7 PM; the Book Cellar is a nifty little independent store at 4736 Lincoln Avenue, right on the CTA's Brown Line.
- For those of you willing to brave the northern suburbs on a Tuesday afternoon, I'll be reading on the Lake Forest College campus at 4 PM on Tuesday, April 24 in Meyer Auditorium, Hotchkiss Hall, Middle Campus.
- On the weekend of May 2 - 4, I will be a player in Rodrigo Toscano's Collapsible Poetics Theater alongside Melissa Severin and Fred Sasaki to kick off Returning from One Place to Another:
A Poet’s Theater Showcase
at Links Hall in Wrigleyville.
- Finally, my European fans will be able to catch me presenting a paper on Charles Olson and avant-pastoral in Brussels during the Poetic Ecologies Conference that will be happening there from May 14 through the 17th. I'm looking forward to this truly international gathering of critics and poets concerned with, as the conference subtitle has it, "Nature as Text and Text as Nature in English-Language Verse."
So if my infrequent blogging bothers you, chances are you can catch me in person at one or more of these events.

Finally, for all you Sadie Gray fans out there, here are a couple of more pictures off the camera phone:

Looking alert in her car seat.


We've been looking for a new apartment. Sadie seemed to like this one.


Laughing at, rather than up, her sleeve.


Smiling at her great-grandpa.


Looking for spring.

No comments:

Popular Posts

Followers