Wednesday, February 12, 2003

So I realized today that I have to screen La Femme Nikita for my film class at 4:30 tomorrow. The movie is two hours long; Cortland is an hour away and the reading starts at seven; my dog will have been stuck alone at home all day. I don't feel good about this, but it looks like my active and visible participation in a political movement will have to wait until another week. What I can do is donate $45 (the price of a bus ticket to NYC) to MoveOn.org, the antiwar group whose petition I first signed back in August, when war seemed completely and unambiguously immoral. Then I wavered for a while, almost talked into what a Times editorial called "The I-Can't-Believe-I'm-a-Hawk-Club." Now I am again convinced that this war, and perhaps any war sought by this Administration, is utterly immoral.

Forty-five bucks. Not much of a contribution, but it is something of a sacrifice for a grad student with a ton of student loan debt. And I believe that sacrifice is part of the point of political action. I also believe that I and countless other people will be called upon to sacrifice much, much more if the bombs start falling on Baghdad. In the meantime, I choose this tiny way of making sure that my "No" will chorus with thousands of others.

No comments:

Popular Posts

Followers