Monday, August 04, 2003

I'm back. It all happened as I predicted. My family's a lot of fun, actually, once you get over all the noise and crosstalk. We ate: Chicago hot dogs and Italian beef sandwiches on Thursday; whitefish, lox, and the best bagels on earth with cream cheese for Friday brunch (here's how you make the best bagels on earth: butter them, then broil them, THEN put on cream cheese, onions, tomato, cucumbers, and the aforementioned lox and/or whitefish, yum); fried chicken and potato salad while listening to Bernstein's "Kaddish" and Beethoven's Emperor Concerto at an outdoor concert hall in the rain Friday night; lunch with just Emily and me at the Art Institute Saturday (she had a lamb salad, I had a chicken penne pasta plate); dinner at an amazingly good Greek place in the suburbs called Yanni's (best grilled shrimp ever, plus lamb kebabs and about four different things you can eat with pita bread consisting primarily of garlic).

Then there was yesterday: up early to deliver my sister to Midway, then racing back west and south to O'Hare, where we made our flight (I had one of those Starbucks panini sandwiches for lunch; they're actually delicious with roast turkey and pesto and dried cranberries) and then sat on the runway for two hours while thunderstorms romped across the Midwest. Missed our connection, of course, so the weekend ended with an ignominous dinner at the T.G.I. Friday's in the Pittsburgh airport and then a 10 o' clock flight which got us home to the dog by 11:30. Whew.

It might interest Jim and others to know that the cousin of one of my oldest college friends happens to draw and write the new Silver Surfer. So if you want to try and influence the plot of the new series you'll have to talk to me.

Good to be back. If only I could stop thinking about food.

No comments:

Popular Posts

Followers