Thursday, October 27, 2005

Farewell, unqualified nonentity! Now I suppose we'll have some fire-breathing wingnut to contend with: the obvious strategy that will permit a post-indictment Bush to re-energize his base. But it really does seem that without the full attention of Rove this White House is utterly incompetent both politically and governmentally. Oh, for a parliamentary system! Oh, for a vote of no confidence!

Rereading the short poems of Zukofsky, rereading Lisa Robertson's Occasional Work and Seven Walks from the Office for Soft Architecture. Amazed to realize that Zuk's shorter poems are positively crammed with nature imagery: here it seems was a New York poet who couldn't enjoy the subway without a blade of grass (or a preying mantis) handy. As for Robertson, my respect for her gift for lyric cognition is deepening into awe. Here is a writer I'd follow anywhere, along any train of thought. She seems to have created out of whole cloth the self-questioning postmodern pastoral that I find so alluring.

Headed down to NYC tomorow to meet Emily, who's been doing singing- and work-related stuff down there. We're going to see a couple of shows, wander around, and generally celebrate the four years we've been together more or less as of this weekend. Not sure I'm going to make it to the Creeley memorial: I revere him, but it sounds like it's shaping up to be too much of a scene. But I will pay my usual pilgrimage to the St. Mark's Bookshop and maybe I'll see you there.

No comments:

Popular Posts

Followers